Fashion Friday: PJs as Evening Wear

8.5.15




My first childhood friend to get married got married pretty young. She was maybe 21. She married a farmer. They now have roughly 7 or 8 kids. She unfriended me on Facebook last year because I got into it with some of her more fundamentalist friends on her wall about LGBT rights. I was surprised but I guess I shouldn't have been. When someone shows you their true selves, believe them? Isn't that what the poster says? Put another way, when someone serves boiled hot dogs and jello molds at their wedding, don't be surprised when they continue to act in a way that makes you roll your eyes and question their judgement.

At her wedding, which was, no other way to put it, an odd affair, I made a wee spectacle of myself. It was the 90's and I was still wearing vintage clothes and bold lips almost exclusively. I loved the 1940's little black dress that I wore to the wedding, but it was the gold kimono that I wore on top of it that really made the look work, I think. Of course I looked out of place and of course I was glad about that. I can be an asshole sometimes now, but back then I was a 21 year old asshole and you know them. They know everything.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is I was cute in that look, but probably off-puttingly smug. Mea Culpa.  May I live to rock PJs as evening wear at a more appropriate venue sometime in my future.

Why the tangent?

Earlier this week, at the Met Gala we were treated to many costume pieces, at least three nearly nekked dresses and giant trains. I enjoy the spectacle, that's what you want from the Met Gala. But at the end of the day, the two ensembles that made me think YES, that is both on point, fashion forward and wearable were Grace Coddington and Jenna Lyons, both in PJs.

Grace Coddington in Michael Kors designed PJs

Jenna Lyons in J Crew PJs with an overlay of netting and jewels.
                       
Coddington opted for the comfy approach because she was heading to the airport after cocktails and could wear them on her flight to France. So that's pretty adorable.

I love Lyons' look. It's so effortlessly chic. It fits perfectly with the "China: Through The Looking Glass" theme without veering too close to appropriation. The overlay just sends it over the top.

Gorg-eous.

So, what do you think? Would you ever wear PJs to a fancy-schmancy event?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |