For Joni and for your weekend.

8.5.15


Joni Mitchell, signing her first recording contract. Photo by Ed Thrasher

Joni Mitchell's recent health trouble has launched a flurry of appreciations for her genius online. I go through one or two "Joni phases" every year where nothing but some time alone with Blue or Mingus will do.

Remember this scene from Love Actually?
Harry: What is this we're listening to? 
Karen: Joni Mitchell. 
Harry: I can't believe you still listen to Joni Mitchell. 
Karen: I love her. And true love lasts a lifetime. Joni Mitchell is the woman who taught your cold English wife how to feel. 
Harry: Did she? Oh, that's good. I must write her sometime and say thanks.

Yeah. We should have known this Harry character was trouble the minute he said he couldn't believe she still listened to Joni. 

Anyway, I fell down a bit of a Youtube rabbit hole recently watching some of Joni's live performances and these are my favourites. I think they'd make for some great listening this weekend.

Black Crow in concert in 1998. featuring Brian Blade on drums, Larry Klein on Bass, Mark Isham on trumpet and Greg Leisz on lap steel guitar. Holy crap. Brian Blade, man.



Goodbye Pork Pie Hat from the Shadows and Light DVD. That's Pat Metheny on guitar, Lyle Mays on Keys and Michael Brecker on Sax. And of course Jaco on bass. The connection Jaco and Joni have is delightful. This has to be my favourite. I can feel sunshine on my face when I listen to this.



Woodstock, 1970. Live on the BBC.



A Case Of You.



This is the crazy. The only thing better than this jam session might be listening to her talk about the the process before they all start to play. Herbie Hancock, Bobby McFerrin, Wayne Shorter, David Sanborn and Larry Klein. Joni's musicianship really shines through here. And I'm sorry, but is she chewing gum the whole time? I think she is.



Happy Weekend. xo


No comments :

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |