Recipe: White Wine and Garlic Slow Cooker Chicken

10.10.13

I've been tinkering with chicken pieces (thighs and legs) in the slow cooker.  So many recipes for chicken in the slow cooker involve condensed soups, heavy cream and cheese and I was looking for something less heavy handed.  What I'm after is chicken that is tender and full of flavour.  After a few hits and misses I think I've landed on something truly delicious.  White Wine and Garlic Slow Cooker Chicken.  Easy enough for a weeknight, yummy enough to serve at a dinner party!


What you'll need:

2 medium onions, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks chopped
6 cloves of garlic, peeled
1 cup of white wine
10 chicken pieces (thighs, legs)
1 package reduced sodium chicken stock gel (I like this kind)


Directions:

1.  Toss the chopped vegetable and peeled garlic in the bottom of the show cooker and nestle the chicken pieces on top.

2.  Pour white wine over chicken.

3.  Add gel stock (in bits) in between chicken pieces.

4.  Season chicken as desired.  I like to use salt, pepper and paprika.  Sometimes I'll add some garlic powder as well.  Yes, even with the 6 cloves of garlic in there.  It adds a little "something".

5.  Crank that bad boy up to high and let it simmer and stew for 6+ hours.

6.  Enjoy the heavenly scent wafting from your kitchen all day long.


7.  The chicken will be very, very tender when it is done.  While it will be falling off the bone if you are careful you can transfer it from the slow cooker into a non stick frying pan to crisp it up and add some more colour.  If you want to add some more richness to the dish brown them in a tablespoon of butter.  You don't need the butter, but let's be real it certainly doesn't hurt.


8.  Serve it up!  I love this with a green salad or with mashed potatoes but my favourite way to serve this is with warm homemade cornbread and fresh, steamed green beans.


Verdict:

This is a winner!  I've been toying with it since our month in New Orleans (when we had a slow cooker but no stove) and it reminds me of that amazing trip and brings me straight to my happy place.  This is also excellent cold so make lots and enjoy the leftovers!



No comments :

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |