Round Up: my take on the Kennedy Center Honourees announcement

7.9.11

Sonny Rollins got a nice 81st birthday present today when it was announced that he's joining the Kennedy Center Honourees this year.  Having seen him in concert a couple of years ago I can state unequivocally that Sonny still sounds like Sonny, which is to say just great.  Even if you're not wild about the current configuration of his band (which I'm not) his personal sound is untouchable.

Also on the list this year are Barbara Cook, Yo Yo Ma, Neil Diamond and Meryl Streep.

I've had the pleasure of seeing Barbara Cook perform live twice now and she remains a true (inter)national treasure.

Yo Yo Ma is the nicest world famous genius that I've ever had the pleasure of making a cup of tea for. Besides, he was on The West Wing.  Bonus points for that.

I saw Neil Diamond in concert once too.  Remind me to tell you about that some time and the woman he mauled in the front row.  Let me just say this: if you are going to a Neil Diamond concert, bring PURELL.

Meryl Streep? 'Nuff Said.

Congrats, Sonny, and Happy 81st!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |