Fashion Friday: Cape Town Edition

28.3.14


One of the best things about Spring officially being in the air is that I can finally ditch my Winter coat and start wearing some of my favourite Spring jackets.  I love a classic trench and denim jacket pretty much any day of the week, but my new favourite thing to wear is this vibrant cape.

Joan Rivers Button Front Cape with Tie Closure in Merlot.  Available here.
As I've mentioned before, I love Joan Rivers' designs (especially her purses) and this cape is no exception.  I know Joan takes the piss out of a lot of plus size celebs on the Fashion Police and elsewhere and if the Twittersphere is any indication, that might bother some of you. The thing about Joan is that she's an equal opportunity offender so my feeling is, you can't take it personally (nor should you ever).  I love that her beautiful clothes are available in plus sizes.  I feel chic and put together in this and comfortable.  It's the trifecta of outerwear, people! 

Also, can I just take a moment to say how thrilled I was to see Joan kill it on The Tonight Show last night?  Jimmy Fallon really righted a wrong there.  Now he just needs to get her to host for him if he ever takes a vacation.  

In case you missed it.

Vintage Simplicity Pattern for stylish capes.  If I could sew...
There are a few things I feel you don't want a cape to do.  This ain't cosplay, you don't want to come off as too Little Red or too Sherlock.  You're not going to a Renaissance Fair (hopefully) so stay away from anything too floaty.  I say stick with solid colours or a bold pattern and remember, capes are not ponchos.  Keep it classy.

Some other capes I'm digging on:

This DKNY dress is so cute and versatile.
Love the leather trim on this. Available at Nordstrom.
So tell me, how do you feel about the cape trend?  Would you rock it or would you be worried about coming off looking like Frank Costanza's lawyer?

That man he's with...is he wearing a CAPE?


Have a great weekend and remember, if there's anything you'd like to see featured on Fashion Friday, let me know!


4 comments :

  1. I think I'm too short for the cape, but would absolutely love to try it. With gloves. Long leather gloves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes! Long leather gloves! And perhaps a capelet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:08 PM

    I LOVE the cape on you Tracey! I have the long leather gloves but no cape! Guess I'm gonna have to remedy that soon. :) Sonya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, good idea.

    By the way, you look snazzy!

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |