2014 Toronto Jazz Festival

29.6.14


It's been a whirlwind couple of weeks with some great music in Toronto.  I was thrilled to once again be able to cover the festival for Torontoist and work as an official staff photographer.  Here are my some of my favourite moments from this year's festival.

Gregory Porter.  Sublime!  He was mesmerizing, especially with the great tune, On my Way to Harlem.  It's gratifying to see a singer who is both an incredible musician and someone who has an understanding of "showmanship".  His command of the audience was singular.


The Dirty Dozen Brass Band.  Any time there's a Sousaphone, I'm happy.


The inimitable Dave Holland with his band PRISM featuring Kevin Eubanks on Guitar and my favourite drummer, Eric Harland.  Would love to seem him play in a more traditional trio setting again some day, or backing a horn player again (like he did with Terence Blanchard).  That said, these guys killed it.




Toronto's own Pat Labarbera at the Rex Hotel.  A reminder that there is world class music here all year round.  Standing room only, duh.


On the final night of the fest I was treated to an amazing performance by the Oliver Jones Trio.  Jim Doxas is a fantastic young drummer and Oliver?  Well, he's Oliver.  Perfection.  His rendition of Oscar Peterson's When Summer Comes and his Gershwin medley may or may not have driven me (and a certain sister) to tears.  The evening was only more magical because we were celebrating the birthday of my wonderful friend Céline.  It was great way to wind down the festival.



Last, but not least, the Robeau and his trio gave a wonderful performance at Snell Hall.  They sounded so great.  I couldn't be more proud.  It was so fun to watch Lenny dancing to her favourite songs.


Till next year Jazz Fest!



No comments :

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |