Recipe: Chickpea Curry with Coconut Rice

4.1.14

I've been craving a cozy evening at one of my favourite Toronto restaurants lately.  Maybe some sticky coconut rice at The Queen Mother.  Or even better, a plate of golden, saucy curry at Salad King.  Love me some Salad King.  But, you guys, it's COLD outside.  And cooking at home is so much more economical and ultimately, more satisfying. So...Saturday night in it is!  Project: Curry and Coconut Rice is on!  I wandered Pinterest and Google looking for a recipe that looked easy and delicious and I couldn't find one, so I got the gist of the method and decided to wing it.



What you'll need:

 Coconut Rice

1 1/2 cups jasmine or other long grain rice
1 1/2 cups canned coconut milk 1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1/4 teaspoon salt

 Chickpea Curry

1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 large yellow cooking onion, sliced
1 red pepper, sliced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
2 tablespoons red curry paste (medium heat)
1 cup sugar snap peas, cut into thirds or halves
1 (14-ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
2 cups cooked chickpeas (I use canned)
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro




Directions:

Coconut Rice

1.  Heat a saucepan over medium-high heat and add rice, coconut milk, water and salt.

2.  Stir, then bring to a boil.

3.  Reduce the heat to low, cover and let cook for 15-18 minutes, until liquid is absorbed.

4.  Fluff with a fork, then stir in coconut oil. Breathe deeply, cause it smells amazing. Oh, coconut oil, where have you been all my life?



Chickpea Curry

1.  Heat a large non-stick wok (or skillet) over medium heat and add the coconut oil.

2.  Stir in the onions, red peppers, salt and pepper and stir to toss. Cook until the vegetables have slightly softened and the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.

3.   Add in the garlic, ginger and curry paste and stir to coat. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Note: powdered garlic and ginger work just as well, just add a little more).

4.   Add in the sugar snap peas and coconut milk.

5.  Increase heat and bring the mixture to a boil.

6.  Reduce the heat to low and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the chickpeas and cook for at least 5 minutes. If you like your chickpeas on the softer side, like I do, wait a little longer. (Note: If you do that, wait to add your sugar snap peas until closer to the end, so they don't overcook).

7.   In the last 5 minutes of cooking time, stir in chopped cilantro (use fresh). Make sure to save some cilantro for garnish. (Note: If you're one of those people that can't abide cilantro, maybe try flat leaf parsley?  I don't know.  I just wish you liked cilantro).



Verdict:

Lenny ate up two servings and if I may so myself, a pre-schooler's plate doesn't lie.  I'm always so thrilled when she devours something I cook.  I'd highly recommend this if you're looking for more veggie or vegan dishes to add to your repertoire. The Robeau even said it's the best vegan dish he's ever had. Publicly. On Facebook. So he must have like it.   I'm thinking this would be nice with a non-vegan protein (chicken breast?) and green beans.  Lots of possibilities here. Let me know if you try it!







No comments :

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |