Recipe: Quinoa Pesto Salad

6.3.13

What did any of us ever eat before Quinoa became a "thing"?  Honestly, I feel like everyone I know is as obsessed with Quinoa as I am.  And let me tell you, I'm obsessed.  So tasty, so adaptable, so good for you.  I want to tell Quinoa all my deep dark secrets and let it stroke my hair as I fall asleep.  Because Quinoa?  It gets me.

I love serving it in soups and with salads.  One of my all-time favourite recipes is this one for Green Bean Quinoa Salad but last week I wanted something a little less sharp and a little more luxurious tasting and that's how this Quinoa Pesto Salad was born.

What you'll need:

2 cups low sodium vegetable stock
1 cup quinoa
1 package of prepared pesto (170 grams)
1 bundle of green onions
1 pint of grape tomatoes (halved)
1 cup (or more) of corn (fresh off the cob or frozen would work well)
fresh ground black pepper to taste


Directions:

1.  Make your quinoa as per the directions on the packet.  I don't rinse mine or toast it.  I do use vegetable broth instead of water as I find it imparts it with lots of great flavour.  That said, be your own quinoa spirit guide on this one.

2.  Once the quinoa has cooled slightly, stir in the pesto.  I find the small 170 gram tub of prepared pesto is perfect for this.  That said, if you have homemade on hand, knock yourself out.  I think homemade kale pesto would probably be lovely in this as well.

3.  Stir in your chopped green onions (the white and the green parts), your halved grape tomatoes and your corn.

4.  Top with fresh ground black pepper and...enjoy!

Verdict:

This salad is killer and stupid easy.  We served it alongside some chicken thighs but it would be great as a main course on it's own.  It also kept very well and was enjoyed for the next two days for lunch.  This yields a pretty big batch and would be perfect for taking to a pot luck.  I am sure I'll be making this one a lot in the Summer to take to BBQs using gorgeous Ontario corn (grilled, of course) and some heirloom grape tomatoes.

Happy eating!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |