Roberta Gamberini

4.7.05


What a busy time it's been! I have tonnes of reviews to dispatch from the Downtown Jazz Fest, which will trickle in over the next few days while I keep my nose to the grindstone at work and try to organize my thoughts surrounding all the music I saw over the past week.

Last Tuesday (I am determined to think in a linear fashion and discuss these shows chronilogically!) we saw a wonderful Italian vocalist, Roberta Gamberini, open for Roy Hargrove.

Her official press bio states that "Roberta uses an instrumental approach in her singing and is comfortable scatting and improvising, while possessing a warm timbre and impeccable timing and intonation." All true. She is one of those rare treasures, a vocalist who sings like an instrumentalist. The show started late because her pianist had suffered heat stroke and they had to find a last minute replacement. Bill King, jack of all trades that he seems to be, was on hand photographing the event. I might have my issues with his producing or journalism skills, but the man has accompanied many a singer in his day, and he knows what he's doing. Especially in terms of allowing them to run the show. I got such a kick out of watching this beautiful woman, with her beautiful voice, clearly leading the band. She was in charge, no question.

Also, she treated the crowd to a fine rendition of "The JAMFs are coming" and who could ask for more than that?

What has stayed with me the most over the days since the show was her way with a lyric (Everything Happens to Me and Lush Life being prime examples) and her obvious respect for the roots of the music, and knowledge of the same. It was an absolute pleasure to listen to her...with her rare beauty and skill I can't imagine why she's not playing concert halls and selling millions of records. Of course I know why, but it just seems a shame. I'm going to keep my eyes open for her recording which is slated to be on shelves in the Fall, and will let you know if she translates well onto record. My guess and my hope is that it will be splendid!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |